Tuesday, August 10, 2010

War Party

Early this morning I left for an hour parkway walk with our dog. It was still and muggy outside......yucky. I applied my heaviest insect repellent, knowing mosquitoes would eat me up if I didn't.
Ahhhhhhhh...no bugs........not one mosquito bothered me........and it wasn't quite as hot as I thought it would be............time to lose my self in reverie.............but wait..................what was that........hmmmm...15-20 minutes into my walk.......I don't think it was a mosquito.......and then I noticed the increasing number of flies. They came, circling like a war party attacking a wagon train. Apparently they had been waiting in the woods for the right moment to ambush me, that being when I was too far along my route to turn back....too far for any way to escape!
And they had arrows. These were not your ordinary variety of flies..........these were the notorious BITING flies of northern Wisconsin. Gee................all that way just to see me!!! Hey........what did I do to them?! Bug Off!! But no.....there was no bugging off. Apparently they are oblivious to super powered Deet.
I eventually came to an alternate route that my husband and I recently discovered and cut my walk short by 15 minutes. I suspect I made up for the abbreviated length of time by swatting flies and walking faster than I have in several years.............
Oh, the joy of an air-conditioned house!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
In addition to being a violist, I am a wife and mother (three sons). I dabble in writing, handwork, sewing and photography.