Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Windshield Wipers

     While driving recently I had to squirt and wash my windshield clear of dirty spray from other vehicles. If I didn't clean often, the build up of dirt would get so bad that I couldn't see the road, and certainly not anything ahead, like signs!
     In the process I thought about how that activity is like life.  Each day my spirit gets hit with spiritual dirt and every Sunday I partake of the Sacrament, a renewal of my baptismal covenants (something like communion in other churches).  I start over spiritually.  The window is washed clean, so to speak, by Christ's atonement.
     That dirty spray comes from many sources, such as inappropriate actions or thoughts on my part as well as the negative influence of others.  If I don't address clearing my spiritual view on a regular basis I will lose my way;  perspective becomes dim and finally completely hidden , leaving me vulnerable to deep spiritual wounds.
     We are not perfect, and sometimes we can not avoid the effects of what others do.  I have been taught that we can be healed of these things through repentance and the atonement of Christ; through the thoughtful and worthy partaking of the Sacrament each week.
     Car windows don't get clean without some kind of liquid, a special cleaner or even just water!  I am reminded of the story of Christ meeting the Samaritan woman at the well and teaching her about "living water", the Gospel of Christ.  That's the only spiritual cleanser that works.
     How does one get this cleanser?  I am being reminded to read and study the Scriptures on a daily basis, among other things.  Sometimes it is so hard to make myself do this!  When I do, I am rewarded.  My spiritual battery is charged; my washer jug gets a refill.
     Maybe this will encourage someone else................signing off for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
In addition to being a violist, I am a wife and mother (three sons). I dabble in writing, handwork, sewing and photography.