Friday, March 4, 2011

Weekly Music Nuggets 6/ The Composer is Dead

     On March 13 one of the orchestras I play in, Festival City Symphony, will be performing The Composer is Dead by Lemony Snicket and Nathaniel Stookey.  This work for orchestra and narrator introduces young audiences to orchestral instruments via a who-done-it story featuring an inspector interrogating all the sections of the orchestra.
     I had never played or even heard of this piece before this concert.  I am finding it clever and funny.  It exists as both a recording and a book with a CD inside; it is worth listening to if you can find it.  I do not recommend it for really young children; although humorous, it involves murder, dead composers, and some music which might be scary.  Below is a link with info about the piece and a video with excerpts.  It can also be found on You Tube.      http://www.schirmer.com/default.aspx?TabId=2420&State_2874=2&workId_2874=35253  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
In addition to being a violist, I am a wife and mother (three sons). I dabble in writing, handwork, sewing and photography.