Fond memories from raising my children include watching my middle son race around the house as Zorro to Grofe's Grand Canyon Suite and a few years later, making up a story about a mouse adventure while my youngest son listened to Elgar's Enigma Variations.
Music can be great fun for children. I recommend the classics such as Peter and the Wolf and Carnival of the Animals, but many other works will do if you have a good approach. I particularly like using a theme and variations movement or a composition with several short movements, like Enigma or Holst's The Planets. They are easier on short attention spans.
Below is a link to a webpage that has a nice list of classical music and associated activities for young children. This music is also great for adults.
- ► 2017 (55)
- ► 2016 (31)
- ► 2014 (15)
- ► 2013 (58)
- ► 2012 (92)
- Dashees Garden Tuesday 18/ My Favorite Quilt
- Weekly Music Nugget 19/ Theory Practice
- Dashees Garden Tuesday 17/ Rose Garden
- The Feast
- The Carriage House
- Weekly Music Nugget 17/ Newbies to Classical Music...
- Dashees Garden Tuesday 16/ New Doilies
- For Love of Jade
- Weekly Music Nugget 17/ Music for Children
- ▼ June (12)
- ► 2010 (50)