Friday, June 10, 2011

Weekly Music Nugget 17/ Music for Children

      Fond memories from raising my children include watching my middle son race around the house as Zorro to Grofe's Grand Canyon Suite and a few years later, making up a story about a mouse adventure while my youngest son listened to Elgar's Enigma Variations
     Music can be great fun for children.  I recommend the classics such as Peter and the Wolf and Carnival of the Animals, but many other works will do if you have a good approach.  I particularly like using a theme and variations movement or a composition with several short movements, like Enigma  or Holst's The Planets.  They are easier on short attention spans.
     Below is a link to a webpage that has a nice list of classical music and associated activities for young children.  This music is also great for adults.
http://prekinders.com/classical-music/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
In addition to being a violist, I am a wife and mother (three sons). I dabble in writing, handwork, sewing and photography.