Monday, August 22, 2011

Quilting Adventure for Christmas

     Last week I finished the top of a quilt I am making.  It began as an experiment using a grab-bag of strips I had ordered online.  I decided to see if I could use them to make a quilt from a book I have (Jelly Roll Sampler Quilts by Pam and Nicky Lintott).  I made a variation of the quilt on the cover of the book.
     The quilt evolved into a Christmas quilt as I made decisions about which squares to use and how to distribute the colors.  I ended up with only six squares, making the quilt about half the size of the original.  I added some fabrics I already had and discarded the orange and blue strips that came in my package (they will be a wall-hanging).  I did not always place lights and darks according to the patterns.
     It was difficult to decide on a sashing color.  I wanted to use fabric I already had.  Nothing seemed right.  One day I noticed a piece of fabric that was loosely covering a cushion, waiting to be sewn into a cover.  A light went on in my head...VOILA!!  That piece was just right!  I am very happy with it.
     I ended up purchasing the fabric for the outside border, and I think I like it.
     The pics below include photos of my two favorite squares.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
In addition to being a violist, I am a wife and mother (three sons). I dabble in writing, handwork, sewing and photography.