Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Weekly Music Nugget 24/ Keeping Score

     A friend recently sent me links to some online videos from Keeping Score, concerts and educational presentations directed by Michael Tilson Thomas, conductor of the San Francisco Symphony.  They have been compared to the old Leonard Bernstein TV presentations  (topic for a future blog post!). I listened to the video about Shostakovich and loved it.  Really well done!
    Below is a link to the video.  I highly recommend it if you would like to gain a better understanding of this composer and his music, particularly Symphony No. 5.  It contains beautiful music analysis for the average listener and fine information about  the societal/cultural influences on this composer.  
     http://www.pbs.org/keepingscore/shostakovich-symphony-5.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
In addition to being a violist, I am a wife and mother (three sons). I dabble in writing, handwork, sewing and photography.