Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sunday Musings 8

     The past few days my husband and I have been showing the area of Nauvoo, Illinois to a friend.  Nauvoo, a small town on the Mississippi, is a historical site for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  In the area is a Visitors Center for the church, a restored village from the 1840s, and an LDS temple.  A temple was built by church members in the 1840s but was later destroyed.  The temple which is there now is a working temple, but also a restoration of the original.
      My purpose today is not to explain the history of Nauvoo but to share some pictures from outside the Visitors Center.  On one side is what is known as the Monument to Women garden, and the pics with statues are from such. The statues reflect various stewardships and responsibilities of women.  There are thirteen statures; I only show a few below (click on each to enlarge).  The following  link is an explanation of the monument:  http://lds.org/ensign/1977/03/the-nauvoo-monument-to-women-a-photo-essay?lang=eng. .





Ah.....one of my favorites....gincko trees!!

I love the empty bird's nest in the upper left
         Just can't leave without posting a shot of the temple.  This photo is taken from the back of the Browning home in the restored village.  On the hill in the background is the top of the temple.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
In addition to being a violist, I am a wife and mother (three sons). I dabble in writing, handwork, sewing and photography.