Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wednesday Thoughts

     I suppose this post is really a Sunday Musing post.  I am under the weather and off schedule this week.
     Yesterday I went visiting teaching ( see lds,org for what this is) and shared a particular scripture that has been on my mind again this morning.  The scripture is Doctrine and Covenants 81:5, "Wherefore be faithful; stand in the office which I have appointed you; succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees."
     The phrase which I have been pondering is "lift up the hands which hang down".  What are the hands that hang down?  I think the answers are many, but one is people who are discouraged and depressed to the point of not being able to lift up their hands in service or work.  They have been immobilized by physical or emotional problems.  Another answer is individuals who have lost their connection to spiritual light.  They choose not to lift up their hands of spiritual commitment.  Perhaps they have become discouraged about the reality or loving nature of God and have embraced cynicism.  Perhaps they are nursing deep grievances or battling anger.
     We might be able to lift  hands by patient, loving and consistent encouragement.  Maybe we need to be extra kind and gentle. Perhaps we can physically lift  by giving them opportunities to share themselves in work or service and doing it with them until their hands are strong enough to do it on their own.
     I am disturbed by the often contentious atmosphere of politics.  The longer I live the more it seems that contention does not solve problems.  It creates them (which is the goal, I suppose--to get people upset--and it works).  "A soft answer turneth away wrath" is wise counsel (although sometimes we have to exercise a lot of patience before it bears fruit).  It is so easy to react to contention rather than hold our emotions and tongues in check.  It is so easy to whine and criticize.....like toddlers.
     Well, enough of this.  I suppose the best place to start with change is one's self.  So let it begin!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
In addition to being a violist, I am a wife and mother (three sons). I dabble in writing, handwork, sewing and photography.