Friday, January 13, 2012

Weekly Music Nugget 40

     I just finished reading a blog article about the importance of teaching stillness to children.  It was thought provoking, and I have been pondering the importance of silence in music.
     I remember being told repeatedly by my private violin/viola teachers to wait longer at a dramatic pause in my music.  I've also had the experience of conducting a group and wondering if I waited long enough in a pause.  I have also listened to performers who don't wait long enough.  Our minds seem to play tricks on us at these moments; the silences seem longer than they are. And they are so uncomfortable.....what do you do during the silence?!
       I suppose scattered moments of silence are like coming home to a quiet house after being in a noisy workplace.  It might be unsettling.  Maybe it's like carefully planned areas of white in a colorful painting.  A needed break... 
      Stillness is reflected in nature.  I am thinking of the profound silence in the aftermath of a snowstorm, or the silence of night.  We are part of nature, and we need quiet time, too.  We need to learn how to cultivate those moments so we can benefit from them.
    
     


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
In addition to being a violist, I am a wife and mother (three sons). I dabble in writing, handwork, sewing and photography.