Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sunday Musings 15

     This morning I browsed through a book that my mother gave me for Christmas when I was 14 years old.  It is a book of religious poetry called Forget-me-nots of Love.  The poetry is not particularly good; it is simple and sentimental.  For some reason it touched my heart.  I would take it out and read a few pages when I was having a rough time.
     Years later it was packed away with my things and not revisited until about ten years ago.  When I picked it up this morning I had not looked at it for several months.  I surveyed the white cover on which is inscribed the title surrounded by two swags of silver forget-me-nots.  I immediately recalled the talk by Dieter Uchtdorf (an LDS church leader) to women last October called Forget Me Not.  It had included discussions and analogies using forget-me-nots (http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2011/10/forget-me-not?lang=eng&query=*+%28name%3a%22Dieter+F.+Uchtdorf%22%29).
     This talk had been especially meaningful to me because my mother liked forget-me-nots.  When I was young she planted them by our back porch. For some reason I did not connect his talk to my book until this morning.  While pondering this I had some additional thoughts.
     On the first page of my book is a pretty illustration of a bouquet of many blue forget-me-nots with one beautiful pink rose and three rosebuds.  The rose is half-open; it is at the perfect stage of bloom.
      It came to me that most of our blessings in life are like forget-me-nots.  They are easy to plant, easy to grow, and numerous.  We often don't notice them for those very reasons.  They are small and common to us.  Nevertheless, they are very beautiful.
     On occasion the Lord gives us a blessing  so perfectly suited and meaningful to us--so deeply personal--that His hand in it can not be missed.  It is the one perfect rose in the bouquet.
      One perfect rose or a mass of pretty, cheerful, tiny forget-me-nots.......is one more beautiful than the other?
      The trick to appreciating the little blue flowers is to re-sensitize ourselves to their worth and beauty.  I think one of the keys to doing this is gratitude.  We need to take time to notice and ponder our blessings and who they ultimately come from.  We need to do this often, even daily.  Even a little bit  helps us see and love the forget-me-nots and their gardener.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
In addition to being a violist, I am a wife and mother (three sons). I dabble in writing, handwork, sewing and photography.