Sunday, April 14, 2013

Wagnerian moment

     I'm so tired!  I have spent the last three days playing Wagner's Overture to Tannhauser, Venusberg and Siegfried's Idyll.  And then some very fast Verdi. Oh, and going to the first rehearsal and finding that I had been moved up to asst. principal, one of the hot seats.  Egads!  I suppose if I was young and concertizing every week this would not be a big deal, but I don't fit either of these.  Following the concert last night  I'm not feeling well.  I wonder why...?!
     This continues tomorrow when  Kenosha Symphony will perform two 5th grade concerts, preceded by a 9:15 AM rehearsal (too early for my aging body to be tackling Wagner). The program won't be as challenging; the only repeat Wagner will be the Tannhauser Overture.  We will, however, also perform a shortened version of Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries.  I ABHOR playing that thing.  It makes me cross-eyed!  Enough said.
     I am chugging capsules of Doterra essential oils in hopes of beating whatever bug I am fighting.  It seems to be working so far.  Hopefully I will be ready for more laps in the Wagner marathon.  I love these oils....they have saved my bacon a few times!
     Wagner is physically challenging to play, but in spite of that, it is a fabulous experience.  One word comes to mind. Gargantuan.  The orchestra is huge, the sound at times is huge, musical shapes  and lines are long.  Harmonies shift like the turning of gigantic vehicles.  Being in the midst of this is like being in another world, one that is unbelievably lush, beautiful, and magical.  I wonder if it is akin to the music of God.
      I suppose I will continue to perform Wagnerian opportunities that come my way.  The benefits outweigh my aging body!
    
    
    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
In addition to being a violist, I am a wife and mother (three sons). I dabble in writing, handwork, sewing and photography.