Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Marriage

     I have lived through two horrible attacks on American soil.  The first was the terrorist attack on 9-11.  I remember how I felt, some of which is recorded in my blog entry dated Oct. 20, 2009, My Deeply Rooted Tree, http://musiolarose.blogspot.com/2009_10_01_archive.html  (scroll down).
     The second attack was not physical.  It was an attack on our Constitution, quietly delivered by five Supreme Court judges a few days ago, June 26, 2015.  It was preceded by years of unrelenting blows on morality, family and God.  Most were delivered by fellow Americans.  This was an inside job, and very well-executed.
     In the few days following this event much has been written about the Court's decision and possible consequences.  These include changes in what is taught in public schools, governmental involvement in redefining morality, increased confusion about gender and sexual orientation, loss of religious freedom (which is the freedom to not just worship, but to exercise beliefs), court cases involving unthinkable relationships and how to deal with them, and the breakdown of families at an accelerated rate. A good article discussing possible results of the Court's ruling are here  http://thefederalist.com/2015/06/26/15-reasons-marriage-equality-is-about-neither-marriage-nor-equality/
     We Americans  let this happen. We elected people who support this.  Many of us either discarded God, ignored Him, changed who He is, conveniently forgot or rewrote the commandments so we could justify our behavior, or put material security ahead of God.  We forgot how and why  this country was founded, or apparently decided we didn't like it anymore.  Perhaps we decided we know better and that the Constitution was never intended for today's society.  Now  we have reaped this Court decision.  I fear we will get what is coming to us. This is a debilitating blow (and I believe it was knowingly delivered).  We need to wake up and remember what life is really about, and the grand principles this country was founded on.  If we don't, we will lose more liberties.
     Some believe the court's decision was about love.  That is theology speaking, not the Constitution (if nothing else, at least take the time to read the Constitution).  The talk about love is to help us sympathize with the court's decision.  It's there to blind us to what is really going on.  As far as I'm concerned, those judges might as well have spit on the Constitution.
     As a parent, I want what's best for my children because I love them.  If I don't know what that is, I take upon myself the responsibility to find answers. If we want to save our families, we must take moral responsibility and teach them correct principles. We must then model them for our children.
      Churches are part of the network for finding answers to moral questions. They can strengthen individuals by teaching them on a weekly basis and providing a support organization so members can go home  and live according to what they have been taught.  Regular church attendance is a sacrifice that brings great rewards.
     I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  It has been a great strength to me at this time.  I have included here a link to a document written by LDS church leaders which is called Family: A Proclamation to the World.  I believe it to be truth.   https://www.lds.org/topics/family-proclamation?lang=eng
      The Court' decision this week will most likely bring clashes between the marriage ruling and religious freedom.  We must maintain religious freedom. That is a core founding principle of the United States.  Without it, we are lost.
     I deeply love my country.  In the aftermath of June 26 I have again felt my roots, and they are still very, very deep. I have discovered that I am a patriot, and that fills me with excitement, hope and joy!  I know without any doubt that what I feel is good and right.  I know it. I plan to do what I can to support religious freedom and live a Christlike life; I will press forward. I hope there will be many others who do so!
     
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
In addition to being a violist, I am a wife and mother (three sons). I dabble in writing, handwork, sewing and photography.