Sunday, January 3, 2016

Sunday Musing 33, Keeping

    

     Since 2014 I have picked a guiding word or phrase to guide me throughout the new year.  I choose it in January, after the business of the holidays is gone. I post it on my desk computer monitor so I see it frequently. It becomes a kind of motto for that year.
     My motto comes to me as I ponder Scriptures.   This year it came to me early, following preparations for my December Relief Society lesson (women's group at church). I'm not sure I have all of my guide, but so far the word for this year is Keeping.
     A frequent phrase in the Book of Mormon is the following: " 2 Nephi 4:4 For the Lord God hath said that: Inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall prosper in the land; and inasmuch as ye will not keep my commandments ye shall be cut off from my presence."  I have read this many, many times, but when I read it in December the word keep popped out.  The more I thought about that word the more meaningful it became.
     Using the word keeping instead of obeying or holding implies treasuring something.  I love Martha Stewart's phrase Homekeeping.  It expands and elevates the meaning of homemaking to include the attitude of treasuring the care of a home.  In Martha's case, it's about the temporal needs of a home.
     For me, homekeeping is both temporal and spiritual.  It includes the nurturing of family relationships.  It embraces the keeping of Scriptures, which means not only studying them but making them more and more a part of my life.  It means feasting on them.  It means treasuring God's commandments rather than just doing them out of a sense of duty, or because it's the right thing to do.  It means believing in my heart as well as my head. It means loving the Lord in the highest sense. It is keeping Him in the center of your life.
     My first specific goal is 30 minutes of immersion in the Book of Mormon each day, preferably early morning. So far I say, Wow!  This is very productive time.  My testimony of the Book of Mormon is growing!
    
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
In addition to being a violist, I am a wife and mother (three sons). I dabble in writing, handwork, sewing and photography.