Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Voted!

   

 I just voted and I'm happy.  I was excited on the way to vote, I was excited when I voted, and I'm at peace with my choices.  All this in the midst of the stinkiest election I can remember.  I feel so good about my decisions; that's why I'm excited!
     I'm grateful to live in a country where I can experience this.  My chosen candidate, Evan McMullin, is someone I have studied, pondered, and prayed about for several weeks.  This morning I woke up certain of my decision, and feeling very good about it. It was exciting to write-in a registered candidate; I've never done that before.  It's feels more powerful to write the full name!
     It's profound that somenone like me, an ordinary citizen, can vote and have the kind of experience I've had in the midst of such contentious and corrupt politics. I have known for years that Ms Clinton would be the Democratic nominee and that I would not vote for her.  I watched Republican primaries and was disappointed with most of the candidates, especially Trump.  I decided to vote for John Kasich, and was happy with that decision, even though he lost.  I'm happy because I voted for someone I wanted to vote for, and someone who appeared to be a man of God, had integrity, and was experienced.  He also seemed to be a unifier.  I was sad that he lost, but I don't regret my decision to vote for him.  For me it's more about making a wise choice than whether or not my choice  will be able to beat the other candidate.
     I am grateful for the Book of Mormon, the gospel of Jesus Christ, and the influence of the Holy Ghost.  They have guided my voting decisions and have sparked an interest and quest to understand more fully how the Founding Fathers intended our government to function.  They have helped me have the courage to stand my ground and share what I learned (albeit there is room for improvement in my methods). It has been quite a spiritual journey; I have learned so much!  I wish I had learned all of this earlier in my life, but as the McMullin campaign slogan says, "It's never too late to do the right thing".    Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
In addition to being a violist, I am a wife and mother (three sons). I dabble in writing, handwork, sewing and photography.