Saturday, January 7, 2017

January 7 Scripture

   

     Following some recent changes in my life I have been pondering the concept of space, such as the space between things or activities.  We often like to focus more on beginnings and endings than what goes on in-between. What is the importance of the "space between"?  What should we be doing there?  I'm reminded of stories in scriptures that often leave out what happened in-between events, such as the journey of Mary and Joseph to Bethlehem and the journey of the wise men to the baby Christ.  Have you ever wondered what happened "in-between"?
    The older I get, the longer it takes to do things, and the more I become aware of my impatience to finish.  I want results now, or at least soon.  For example, I don't want to take the time to wait in a line for something when I have so many important things to be doing and seemingly less time to do them.  I'm so impatient.  I thought increased patience was something that came with aging, not something that became a greater struggle!  Along with this is discouragement when I think about slowing down even more in future years.  And, of course, that attitude slows me down more.  And meanwhile the "space between" becomes longer and longer.
     Perhaps the in-between spaces have their own importance.  This reminds me of the philosophy to live in each moment.  How do we accomplish that, accepting the space we have and patiently moving forward through it ?  How do we do this when we might not know the outcome at the end?
     I'm still pondering this, but so far I think I can actually feel the space given.  That probably sounds weird, but I can sense it.  That space is real, and it serves a purpose in our lives.  Maybe it's there to allow us growth that comes with time and experience.  That sounds obvious, but it is much more meaningful when sensed as real and true.  I think in-between time can be accepted and embraced as an opportunity for observations, self-evaluations, healing, and learning.  And that is what life is about.
     While searching the scriptures on this subject I came across the following (see below) from the Doctrine and Covenants.  It refers to the light of truth, or light of Christ. We can receive this light no matter what our circumstances; heeding it will lead us forward through the spaces in-between.

D&C 88:11 And the light which shineth, which giveth you light, is through him who enlighteneth your eyes, which is the same light that quickeneth your understandings;
 12 Which light proceedeth forth from the presence of God to fill the immensity of space—
 13 The light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things, which is the law by which all things are governed, even the power of God who sitteth upon his throne, who is in the bosom of eternity, who is in the midst of all things.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
In addition to being a violist, I am a wife and mother (three sons). I dabble in writing, handwork, sewing and photography.