Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Sunday Musing on Wednesday--Hymns

     Many years ago one of my sons was seriously ill.  He recovered but within a couple of months the illness returned.  I was angry.  At one point I went down to my basement, threw some things, and told off God. I had a tantrum.  Eventually my faith began to return; I had nowhere else to turn but  God.
     The morning of my son's first treatment came and I was worried.  It was a difficult time for all.  While preparing to drive my son to the hospital for a treatment a hymn popped into my head.  At first I was taken aback because I didn't like the hymn.  It was one of a few on my list of musically deplorables. I thought to myself, where did this come from?  Not from me!  I listened to the lyrics of the hymn and I knew it was a message from the Lord for me and my son, in spite of the tune and dated words.  I sensed there was help supporting us from the other side of the veil; in fact, a whole choir of people.  Here are the lyrics (you can click on link below it to hear it).

  1. 1. We are all enlisted till the conflict is o'er;
    Happy are we! Happy are we!
    Soldiers in the army, there's a bright crown in store;
    We shall win and wear it by and by.
    Haste to the battle, quick to the field;
    Truth is our helmet, buckler, and shield.
    Stand by our colors; proudly they wave!
    We're joyfully, joyfully marching to our home.
  2. (Chorus)
    We are all enlisted till the conflict is o'er;
    Happy are we! Happy are we!
    Soldiers in the army, there's a bright crown in store;
    We shall win and wear it by and by.


      I now have a special appreciation for this hymn.  Maybe I even love it.  I heard it again today after I decided to finally get out of bed and fight "He who shall not be named" as I battled depression and anxiety.
     I have a blossoming testimony of the power of hymns.  As a highly educated musician it's often hard to turn off my distatse for some of the LDS music, but I'm making peace with this by learning that hymns, for the most part, are not meant to be musical gems.  They are messages of spirtual truths from God.  They can convey messages from the Spirit.   When we have spiritual experiences with the hymns, we begin to realize their power to teach and inspire, and we begin to love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
In addition to being a violist, I am a wife and mother (three sons). I dabble in writing, handwork, sewing and photography.