Saturday, April 15, 2017

Weekly Music Nugget 68

   
 
     When I was a high school senior I wrote an essay about music as my drug.  I have never puffed, snorted or injected anything other than an inhaler (that happened last week while I was ill), but I was a music junkee as a teenager.  I would listen to rock via my radio or play classical records over and over.  I loved the emotional highs and lows I got from music.  Why would anyone harm their bodies with drugs  when there is music?  That was the topic of my essay.
     I still enjoy listening to and discovering music that pushes my emotional buttons.  It is a joyful activity.  Music helps me connect with life, both temporal and spiritual.  I might feel joy, sadness, peace, motivation, courage, strength, or even healing.  Sometimes I get goosebumps; sometimes my tummy does flip-flops.
     Yesterday I found another piece I love and a new sensation.  When I listen to this piece I almost vibrate.  It seems "in synch" with my soul.  I don't know how else to explain this.  It's a short classical venture by Billy Joel.  I feel so much during this piece-- melancholy, longing, joy, comfort, peace,  strength, faith, gratitude, and a kind of sureness/support.  It also seems settled, for lack of a better word. It's a hymn.  link--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1kYHFgeucs&feature=share

     As a sidenote, I have been  sick for 2 1/2 weeks.  I even had to bow out of a concert, something I have never done my entire life.  I'm feeling much better today and I'm hopeful this is past.  I hope to get back to blogging soon!
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
In addition to being a violist, I am a wife and mother (three sons). I dabble in writing, handwork, sewing and photography.